So it seems like everything in my life is about to change within the next few months. I no longer have the desire to major in Spanish. This all came about when I got to thinking about studying abroad, working in Spain, or going on a mission. All of them would have to occur at the same time and so it really got me thinking about what I wanted to do with my life and my college education. Although I started with an enthusiasm for majoring in Spanish the last few months of pondering my life has made me realize that I didn't really ever want to deal with Spanish academically, I just wanted to learn the language so I can communicate. I have come to the point in the classes I'm taking that after this semester I am done with learning the things I need to communicate (i.e. verbs, vocab, writing, etc.). Of course there are always new words to learn and I plan on learning more, but I've learned all I need to.
Coming to this conclusion (with Heavenly Father's help of course) made me take the next step in this mental process which was asking myself...so what DO I want to do with my college education? My sister Bridgette's career came quickly to my mind and intrigued me. She is a Radiology Technician in the bay area. It's a two year program, you get to help people and interact with people, wear scrubs to work and be in a hospital. It's perfect! So now if people ask what I want to be when I grow up I'll say: I want to be like my sister Bridgette! =) I am excited about it!! Radiology Techs make a lot of money!
Unfortunately the University of Idaho doesn't offer a Radiological Science program and so I did some research to find out which colleges/universities do. The three that I would consider transferring to were LCSC in Lewiston, ID; BSU, in Boise, ID; and ISU in Pocatello, ID. Automatically I made the decision that I didn't want to go to school in Lewiston and that I really didn't want to live in Boise. My last option was Pocatello. Even though I don't like southern Idaho I'll be close to my friends who attend BYU-Idaho and there are lots of places to see down there such as the dunes, Jackson Hole and I'm close to Salt Lake. Another advantage to going to school there is there are lots of LDS people.
Now since I've been here at the University of Idaho I've had to take out a couple loans, but luckily the number in front of the three zeros hasn't become a double digit number. However, being in debt makes me nervous. I had been thinking about when I would be able to pay it off when I was presented with a great opportunity! That opportunity was and is the chance to go live with my aunt in Virginia. Since my uncle is going to be in Iraq she will be home with my two little cousins who are boys and under the age of 4. She has her hands full. Not only do I get to help her until my uncle returns, but I'll get to work, pay off loans and save money in order to go to school at ISU debt free. =) Once I'm done in Virginia I'll get to decide if I'm going straight to school, or if a mission is in order.
Another thing I have to consider with my new career choice and getting into the program at ISU is there might be a waiting list. That could push me back another year. So far I've done some research and have a basic understanding of the classes I'll need to take, but some time next week I'm going to give ISU a call to get details and be able to "plan" better. Going to school at ISU is a couple years away, but getting everything lined up now could be to my advantage.
For now my plan is to stay here at the University of Idaho until the end of the academic year (May) and then fly out to Virginia for the summer, or until my uncle gets back fly back to Lewiston to see my family for a little bit and then decide what I want to do next until I can get into ISU. This whole thing is a tenative plan and I'll continue praying all along the way, but it feels good to have my life somewhat organized. I'm going through each day with a purpose. =)
Saturday, November 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Yay! I'm so psyched for you!! Its kind of fun when your life doesn't work out as planned isn't it? It's like a rush every day:) I'm proud of you!! Keep us updated!
Post a Comment